Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Danger of Thinking Grandly

There's a great article today on The Register - my favorite UK IT news web site. I love The Register because they cover so many facets of the IT world that I don't touch regularly myself[1], have a strong anti-Microsoft bias[2], and generally have a dry British sense of humor[3]. All in all, it's a good thing.

Today's article is on "Frameworks and the danger of a grand design" and should be considered required reading for anyone who writes code or builds applications. It's not rocket science, but it sums up quite nicely a bunch of lessons that I have learned through my own pain over the years. If you have also felt that pain yourself, you'll read the article and nod and smile. And if not, you may not quite get it, but next month or next year when you do feel that pain, you'll look back and say A-Ha!

So check out the article today: http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/05/29/grand_design_syndrome/

[1] Which keeps me informed on topics that I would otherwise know nothing about.

[2] Which keeps me honest, since I'm so firmly entrenched in the Microsoft world myself.

[3] Which keeps me amused.

No comments: