Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Setting up a SQL Server 2012 RC0 VM

I ran across this excellent article last week, but forgot to share it before I went offline for the Thanksgiving holiday. Fortunately it was waiting for me in a browser tab this morning to remind me.

How to Build a SQL Server 2012 RC0 Hyper-V Virtual Machine

Setting up a new development[1] environment for a new product is often complex. When the new product is something as diverse as SQL Server 2012, and when you want to explore integration with other products like Visual Studio, SharePoint and Exchange, the setup process can be positively daunting.

In this wiki page, Richard Davis presents a step-by-step approach for building a SQL Server 2012 RC0 VM. I haven’t gone through the whole thing myself, but when I need to build out a comprehensive demo machine, this is where I’ll start.

 

[1] Or demo, or play, or whatever.

2 comments:

Eric Wisdahl said...

erm, I think you mean 2012 RC0 VM?

Matthew Roche said...

@Eric - 2010? Whatever do you mean?

;-)

I guess my fingers' muscle memory is stronger than I'd realized...